[Dovecot] permanent flags (are very permanent)

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sat Mar 27 04:17:11 EET 2010

On Thu, 2010-03-25 at 22:32 +0100, Oliver Eales wrote:

> first of all i am not sure wheter this is a correct behavior according to the RFC or not...
>
> Problem is, when i set a new custom permanent flag (e.g. testflag) and remove it afterwards, the flag still stays in the list of the permanent flags of this drawer even if there are no messages left with this flag set.
> So the keyword list gets "polluted" with unused flags.

This is pretty much the expected behavior. I've thought about this
before though and there are a few things related to this in my TODO
list:

 - After reaching a certain number of keywords, the oldest unused ones
should be removed. Especially with Maildir where the limit is 26, but
perhaps others could also try to avoid allocating extra bytes for them
in index file.
 - Maybe instead of, or in addition to the above, remove keywords
automatically that haven't been used for n days.
 - Add a way to explicitly add/remove keywords (IMAP extension?)

All of these are pretty low priority for me though..