[Dovecot] dovecot user

Stan Hoeppner stan at hardwarefreak.com
Sat Mar 27 09:34:32 EET 2010

Timo Sirainen put forth on 3/27/2010 2:18 AM:
> On Sat, 2010-03-27 at 02:10 -0500, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
>>> Maybe the native english speakers (and I'd think only a subset of them too). I had never heard of dovetail.
>>
>> I'm guessing that's because you're not a woodworker, or know any. ;)  It's a
>> great hobby if you ever found the spare time.
>
> Sure. But we're talking about UNIX admin kind people here. Somehow I
> doubt they spent much attention to woodworking classes at school (we
> actually had such classes, and I might know the Finnish word for
> dovetail if someone told me it, but I doubt it's common knowledge in
> either language).

Probably depends on what city/state/province/country as well.  I'm in the
midwest USA, and alot of people in general, sysadmins or not, are DIY type
folks.  You grow up on a farm or in a small town and learn a whole lot of
non computer stuff (including basic woodworking) before going to college and
then to the big city for the sysadmin job.  Then you visit mom/dad on the
weekends, and they have you rebuilt the kitchen and bathroom.  Then you
decide to rebuild your own kitchen and bathroom.  And then your neighbors
find out you know how to do that kind of work and ... you lose a few more
weekends. :(

>>> I want something that's at least potentially understandable to people who understand english (and not just native speakers). I wouldn't know why some process is owned by user "dovel". That might not even make me realize it's a Dovecot process.
>>
>> How about "pigeon"?  Dovecots house two kinds of birds, doves, and, far more
>> often, pigeons.  So, pigeon should be the new user name.  No one knows what
>> the heck a "dovecot" is until they look it up anyway (at least non Scots),
>> so using "pigeon" is in keeping with naming your server Dovecot.  There.
>> Now that that's settled...
>
> But Dovecot is the name of the software, and admins know that, even if
> they have no clue what it means. dove* as the username makes them think
> of Dovecot regardless.

You think anyone is going to add the user "pigeon" to any groups?  I'm
thinking that, as with "dovenull", that most would avoid touching "pigeon"
at all costs.  Then again, some may think their system was hacked, and want
to remove the user "pigeon" lol.  If your main goal is getting people to
leave that user alone, I think pigeon would definitely fit the bill.  And it
adds a bit of humor to the mix since pigeons tend to crap all over
everything. ;)

>> dovecot	dove-main
>> dovecot-auth	dove-auth
>> imap-login	dove-imaplgn
>> pop3-login	dove-poplgn
>> imap		dove-imap
>> pop3		dove-pop3
>>
>> Just a thought.  But a nice thought at that. :)
>
> But you're talking about process names, right? That's already changed in
> v2.0. You have one "dovecot" process and everything else is "dovecot/*".
> For example:
>
> root      1840  0.0  0.0  43140  1328 pts/0    S+   05:02   0:00 /usr/local/sbin/dovecot -F
> dovecot   1841  0.0  0.0  30568   976 pts/0    S+   05:02   0:00 dovecot/anvil
> root      1842  0.0  0.0  30676  1120 pts/0    S+   05:02   0:00 dovecot/log
> root      2500  0.0  0.1  38524  2760 pts/0    S+   08:59   0:00 dovecot/lmtp
> root      2501  0.0  0.2  37684  4372 pts/0    S+   08:59   0:00 dovecot/config
> dovecot   2502  0.0  0.1  68500  3112 pts/0    S+   08:59   0:00 dovecot/auth

Ahh, sw333t!  I haven't played with 2.0 yet so I hadn't seen this yet.
That's precisely the kinda thing I had in mind.

See?  Great minds think alike.  (most of the time anyway) ;)

--
Stan