[Dovecot] Problem with IMAP on port 993

Jerry dovecot.user at seibercom.net
Tue Mar 30 12:04:40 EEST 2010

On Tue, 30 Mar 2010 09:04:01 +0200 (CEST), Steffen Kaiser
<skdovecot at smail.inf.fh-brs.de> articulated:

> On Mon, 29 Mar 2010, Jerry wrote:
>
> > ssl_cert_file = /etc/ssl/certs/dovecot.pem
> > ssl_key_file = /etc/ssl/private/dovecot.pem
>
> They're the defaults, most likely.
> dovecot -a displays all settings in effect.
>
> > I am not sure why "dovecot -n" does not show them. I also noticed
> > another error. At the end of the output of "dovecot -n" is this
> > notation:
>
> Which error?
>

> >    client:
> >      path: /var/run/dovecot/auth-client
> >      mode: 438
>
> 438 is the decimal form of the octal 0660
>
> > However, in my conf file, it is listed like this:(snippet)
> >
> >    client {
> >      path = /var/run/dovecot/auth-client
> >      mode = 0666

Now I see. I think a simple notation indicating that it was
displaying the decimal form might have been useful. Since it is working
correctly now, I assume that dovecot can accept either the decimal or
octal forms.

Question: What would have happened if I had just entered: 660? Would
dovecot have internally converted it to decimal: 102? That does not
seem like a good idea.

Note: I believe, and that is subject to review, that decimal 438 =
octal 666. Decimal 438 = octal 0660. (comments)

BTW, I was not aware of the '-a' flag. Besides '-a' & '-n' are there
any others?

Thanks for your feedback.

--
Jerry