[Dovecot] Thunderbird very slow startup, 1.2.11, mbox, postfix local delivery to /var/mail

Stan Hoeppner stan at hardwarefreak.com
Sat May 8 00:55:00 EEST 2010

Charles Marcus put forth on 5/7/2010 2:32 PM:
> On 2010-05-07 2:55 PM, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
>> I did quite a bit more searching, and though I found nothing
>> specifically linking GLODA to my issues, I disabled it, along with
>> some likely minor other things.  For some reason it was enabled by
>> default on my system even though the mozilla docs say it comes
>> disabled by default.
>
> Not sure where you read that, but as far as I know, it has always been
> enabled by default. In fact there are a couple of bugs about this that
> I've been very vocal on complaining about this dumb decision of theirs.
>
> Enabling GLODA, forcing all IMAP folders to offline mode (I have 16+
> IMAP accounts, and I was *furious* when I learned they stomped on all of
> my settings like that) *and* enabling Sync all messages for *all* IMAP
> accounts by default were extraordinarily arrogant and dumb decisions, in
> my opinion (and I had no qualms with telling them so).
>
> As far as I know, they have not changed this in any of the 3.0.x builds,
> and said as much in the open bugs...

According to this page found via Google it's disabled by default:
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Thunderbird:Using_Gloda

The page last update is listed as 7 March 2009.  I'm not sure which version
was current at that time.  But obviously it was disabled by default at one
point.  That may have changed.  I didn't see it in the 3.0.4 release notes.
 I may have manually enabled it long ago, not realizing the possible
repercussions, and then forgot I enabled it.  Like I said, I don't think I
did, but it's possible.

--
Stan