[Dovecot] Thunderbird very slow startup, 1.2.11, mbox, postfix local delivery to /var/mail

Patrick Ben Koetter p at state-of-mind.de
Sun May 9 01:04:11 EEST 2010

<http://wiki.dovecot.org/LDA/Postfix>

> to make?  Would I still be able to sort new messages with Tbird filter

Sure. Tbird filter rules are local, client rules run on your computer and not
on the mailserver.

> rules?  What directory would dovecot LDA drop the new messages into?  Would

Dovecot deliver will put messages into the same place where Postfix local puts
them now.

> I need to make name space changes?  I've never actually done anything

Nope, deliver replaces Postfix local LDA transparently.

> manually with name spaces.  I let dovecot figure it out automagically.
>
> Thanks for the interest in my topic.  I know it's not a very interesting one
> since apparently I'm the only one on the planet experiencing this.

Putting 40k+ messages - IIRC you wrote that - into a single mailbox is not
unusual allthough I hardly now any postmaster who recommends that.

Having no index on 40k messages means the mail server needs to scan the
directory any time a mail client accesses the mailbox. This takes time and
might explain the delay you experience.

Dovecots ability always to provide an up to date if you use its LDA deliver
was one of the major reasons to use Dovecot for me. We had a non-Dovecot IMAP
server with a load of 60. It went down to 2 the day we began to use Dovecot
with deliver AND access to messages became faster.

p at rick

--
state of mind
Digitale Kommunikation

http://www.state-of-mind.de

Franziskanerstraße 15      Telefon +49 89 3090 4664
81669 München              Telefax +49 89 3090 4666