[Dovecot] wrong config file?

Phil Howard ttiphil at gmail.com
Mon May 10 16:06:05 EEST 2010

On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 11:43, Dennis Guhl <dg at dguhl.org> wrote:

> Ubuntu is using dovecot-postfix.conf as the working config file if you
> install the package 'dovecot-postfix' from the Ubuntu server team. But
> if you install the seperate packages 'dovecot-[common|imapd|pop3d]'
> dovecot.conf will be used.
>
> And it might be, that your master.cf does not call dovecot deliver
> with '-c /etc/dovecot/dovecot-postfix.conf' as part of argv=.

Apparently the config file selection is being done in /etc/init.d/dovecot so
it applies to the daemon and probably anything started from it, but not to
programs started elsewhere.  I'm guessing this special handling of Postfix
is distro specific, and not part of the basic Dovecot package.  But if they
are going to make such a change, they really should have made it fully
consistent and universal by changing the default file name string (and maybe
the logic to test between 2 different names) within the Dovecot programs.

That init file is testing if dovecot-postfix.conf exists, and falling back
to the default if not.

If that observation is correct, then I can simply be sure of which config
file I'm using by removing dovecot-postfix.conf and just using dovecot.conf
only.