[Dovecot] dovecot/deliver ... Can't open log file /var/log/dovecot/error.log: Permission denied

Jerry dovecot.user at seibercom.net
Mon May 10 22:25:54 EEST 2010

On Mon, 10 May 2010 14:06:27 -0500
Romer Ventura <rventura at h-st.com> articulated:

> Yes, 1001 are the uid and gid in my system,  check your /etc/passwd
> to get the ones for your system.
>
> mailbox_command = /usr/lib/dovecot/deliver
>
> Thanks
> ------
> Romer Ventura
>
> On May 10, 2010, at 1:56 PM, Phil Howard wrote:
>
> > On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 14:44, Romer Ventura <rventura at h-st.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> What about your postfix conf..?
> >> mine is set to:
> >> virtual_gid_maps = static:1001
> >> virtual_mailbox_base = /srv/mail/vmail/
> >> virtual_mailbox_domains = $mydomain
> >> virtual_mailbox_maps = ldap:/etc/postfix/ldap_users.cf
> >> virtual_transport = dovecot
> >> virtual_uid_maps = static:1001
> >>

> > I saw conflicts in the docs for some of that and what I was
> > doing. What is
> > uid 1001 on yours? vmail?
> >
> > What does Postfix do with virtual_mailbox_base ... or why should
> > it care if
> > it is passing all deliverables to dovecot/deliver.  I'm not using
> > LDAP, so
> > that's out.  Auth is via Dovecot, and a test to a non-existant
> > user was
> > rejected as expected, so it seems the userdb lookup worked.  What
> > does "virtual_transport = dovecot" mean that ...
> >
> > mailbox_command = /usr/lib/dovecot/deliver -c
> > /etc/dovecot/dovecot-postfix.conf -a "${RECIPIENT}"
> >
> > ... does not?

From my 'master.cf' file:

dovecot   unix  -       n       n       -       -       pipe
  flags=DRhu user=vmail:vmail argv=/usr/local/libexec/dovecot/deliver
-f ${sender} -d ${user}@${nexthop}

From 'main.cf' file: (snippet)

virtual_gid_maps = static:1002
virtual_minimum_uid = 100
virtual_transport = dovecot
virtual_uid_maps = static:1002

Obviously, I have that user:

pw showuser 1002
vmail:*:1002:1002::0:0:Virtual Mail User:/nonexistent:/usr/sbin/nologin

My log file is has 0600 permissions and its owner/group is 'vmail'.

--
Jerry
Dovecot.user at seibercom.net