[Dovecot] dovecot/deliver ... Can't open log file /var/log/dovecot/error.log: Permission denied

Phil Howard ttiphil at gmail.com
Tue May 11 00:30:48 EEST 2010

On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 17:11, Romer Ventura <rventura at h-st.com> wrote:

> try using -d ${recipient}, but change the format of the username in
> dovecot.conf

What does "change the format of the username" mean?

> What i did was to set the mail attribute for each user in AD, then perform
> a query for it and have dovecot group users by domain, this way i can have
> user1 at example.net and user1 at example.com

Sorry, now I'm just not following this at all.  I don't know what mail
attribute apply here, and I don't know what "in AD" means.

I have the following in in my dovecot-postfix.conf file:

mail_location =
maildir:/home/mail/dnamesum=%12MLd/dname=%Ld/unamesum=%12MLn/uname=%Ln/mail

And this was working until I switched to the "virtual_transport = dovecot"
method ... although %d was coming up empty (and %12MLd was the md5 of
empty).  Ultimately my intention is to have:

mail_location = maildir:/home/mail/%2MLd/%Ld/%2MLn/%Ln/mail