[Dovecot] %d is empty in mail_location

Phil Howard ttiphil at gmail.com
Tue May 11 16:20:39 EEST 2010

On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 04:00, Steffen Kaiser <skdovecot at smail.inf.fh-brs.de
> wrote:

> On Mon, 10 May 2010, Phil Howard wrote:
>
>  user at domain address.  The problem is that %d and %Ld are coming up as
>> empty,
>> and %12MLd is giving me the first 12 hex characters of an md5 of an empty
>> content.  It's losing the domain name somewhere.  It's in the mail headers
>> and in the -a option.  So what else is needed?
>>

> Do you re-write the "user" attribute in the passdb?

I do whatever this means:

auth default {
  mechanisms = plain login

####      passdb passwd-file {
####        args = username_format=%Ln@%Ld /etc/mailauth/ALL.deny
####        deny = yes
####      }
  passdb passwd-file {
    args = username_format=%Ln /etc/mailauth/%Ld.deny
    deny = yes
  }
####      passdb passwd-file {
####        args = scheme=crypt username_format=%Ln@%Ld
/etc/mailauth/ALL.passwd
####      }
  passdb passwd-file {
    args = scheme=crypt username_format=%Ln /etc/mailauth/%Ld.passwd
  }
####      userdb passwd-file {
####        args = username_format=%Ln@%Ld /etc/mailauth/ALL.passwd
####      }
  userdb passwd-file {
    args = username_format=%Ln /etc/mailauth/%Ld.passwd
  }

The intention of the above is that these  passwd-file format files have only
the username part of the full email address being logged in as, and a
separate file be there for each domain.  So if I login to IMAP as
phil at example.com, then I would be authenticated by accessing file
"/etc/mailauth/example.com.passwd" and searching for user "phil" in that
file.

I would not expect the formatting of what username I search for in these
files to cause the %d variable to lose its content.