[Dovecot] dovecot/deliver ... Can't open log file /var/log/dovecot/error.log: Permission denied

Bradley Giesbrecht bradley.giesbrecht at gmail.com
Tue May 11 21:38:05 EEST 2010

On May 11, 2010, at 11:26 AM, Phil Howard wrote:

> On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 12:59, Gerard Seibert <dovecot.user at seibercom.net
> >wrote:
>
>> Virtual documentaion: http://www.postfix.org/virtual.8.html
>>

> This seems to be a delivery agent of its own.  I don't want Postfix
> to do
> the delivery.  I want Dovecot to do the delivery so it can create the
> additional cache/index files (whatever they were ... Dovecot
> documentation
> encourages this).  So that means handing it off to the
> /usr/lib/dovecot/deliver program.

Basically postfix just needs to know that a username/email address is
local and how to deliver.

If you are using virtual users in main.cf this works for me.
virtual_transport                    = dovecot

In master.cf this works for me.
dovecot          unix    -    n    n    -    -    pipe
     flags=DRhu user=_vmail:_vmail argv=/opt/local/libexec/dovecot/
deliver -d ${recipient}

Now dovecot needs to know where to deliver to. I use a database
backend so postfix and dovecot can look the information up in the same
place. They just need queries to return the values they require. In
dovecot docs look for userdb and passworddb.

777 you log file till you figure out which users need to write to it.
I have _vmail as my user and group name and my dovecot-deliver.log has
_vmail:_vmail for owner and group and dovecot.log has root:_vmail for
owner and group.

// Brad