[Dovecot] Can't get Thunderbird 2 to delete a folder under mdbox (Dovecot 2.0beta5)

William Blunn bill+dovecot at blunn.org
Thu May 13 17:29:38 EEST 2010

On 13/05/2010 15:14, Charles Marcus wrote:
> On 2010-05-13 5:02 AM, William Blunn wrote:
>
>> So if I had a folder "foo" and deleted it, I end up with a folder
>> "Trash/foo" (which Thunderbird calls "Deleted/foo").
>>
> We have been using Thunderbird exclusively since before it reached version 1.0, and it has never, to the best of my recollection, used anything but 'Trash' for the trash can.
>
> http://kb.mozillazine.org/IMAP_Trash_folder

Thank-you for your message.

I suspect it may be that Thunderbird substitutes a localised translation
on-the-fly for display purposes.

I am using the British localised version of Thunderbird.

So the IMAP folder is called "Trash" but Thunderbird shows the
translation "Deleted" for me.

>> Fair enough: Thunderbird is doing a trash can model on folders.
>>
> No idea what you mean by that...

It means that Thunderbird does not delete folders when requested to but
instead moves them to a "trash can". The folders are actually deleted
with the "trash can" is emptied. I call this the "trash can model".
Another model would be the "do it straightaway model", in which when I
ask the program to delete a folder, it deletes it straight away.

Regards,

Bill