[Dovecot] [SOLVED] %d is empty in mail_location

Phil Howard ttiphil at gmail.com
Fri May 14 22:37:41 EEST 2010

On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 15:21, Phil Howard <ttiphil at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have this in dovecot-postfix.conf:
>
> mail_location =
> maildir:/home/mail/dnamesum=%12MLd/dname=%Ld/unamesum=%12MLn/uname=%Ln/mail
>
> Yes, it is excessive, but that's just for testing.  The pattern I really
> want is less clear for debugging.  In postfix/main.cf I have:
>
> mailbox_command = /usr/lib/dovecot/deliver -c
> /etc/dovecot/dovecot-postfix.conf -a "${RECIPIENT}"
>
> I verified through strace that -a "${RECIPIENT}" is in fact getting a full
> user at domain address.  The problem is that %d and %Ld are coming up as
> empty, and %12MLd is giving me the first 12 hex characters of an md5 of an
> empty content.  It's losing the domain name somewhere.  It's in the mail
> headers and in the -a option.  So what else is needed?

There was a typo in an earlier config item:

auth_username_format = %Ln at Ld

Maybe that was what someone was screaming at me about when I looked at
username_format.  I didn't see this until I was trying to figure out why the
passwd file wasn't being read.  I ran strace, and saw that it was trying to
access a file with "ld" in it.  Even then it took a while because the domain
had been reformed as "Ld" and subsequently lower cased later.

I found this while trying out a subset of a couple suggested configurations
with some virtual_* settings in Postfix, and using dovecot/deliver via
transport.

I will now clean up the mess and hope I don't break it doing that.  Then
slam it with email and see what happens next.