[Dovecot] mail location filesystem noatime, nodiratime?

Heiko Schlichting dovecot-l at fu-berlin.de
Wed May 19 17:44:26 EEST 2010

> Will Dovecot be negatively impacted if I change my XFS mount options to
> noatime,nodiratime?

How are the mails stored on your XFS filesystem? For Maildir, there is no
problem using these mount options. I'm using

    noatime,nodiratime,nobarrier,logbufs=8

for mounting XFS filesystems on all my dovecot servers for years without
any problems. Mailstorage is Maildir (written by exim not dovecot lda but
this should not matter).

nobarrier is enabled because I use RAID systems with battery backed write
cache.

logbufs=8 does increase performace for deleting mails (e.g. for expiring
the Spam folder) if XFS log is internal (the default). If you have
configured a separate, external partion for XFS log, this might not be
necessary.

Heiko

Heiko Schlichting                Freie Universität Berlin
heiko.schlichting at fu-berlin.de   Zentraleinrichtung für Datenverarbeitung
Telefon +49 30 838-54327         Fabeckstraße 32
Telefax +49 30 838454327         14195 Berlin