[Dovecot] STARTTLS does not seem to work

Phil Howard ttiphil at gmail.com
Mon May 24 18:39:39 EEST 2010

On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 11:31, Mike Abbott <michael.abbott at apple.com> wrote:
>> altair/phil /home/phil 162> telnet 172.30.0.24 143
>> Trying 172.30.0.24...
>> Connected to 172.30.0.24.
>> Escape character is '^]'.
>> * OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 SASL-IR SORT THREAD=REFERENCES MULTIAPPEND
>> UNSELECT LITERAL+ IDLE CHILDREN NAMESPACE LOGIN-REFERRALS UIDPLUS
>> LIST-EXTENDED I18NLEVEL=1 STARTTLS LOGINDISABLED] AUTHORIZED USERS
>> ONLY -- unauthorized access strictly prohibited
>> STARTTLS
>> STARTTLS BAD Error in IMAP command received by server.
>> ^]quit
>
> Every IMAP command needs a command tag.  Instead of "STARTTLS" try "A STARTTLS".

Interesting.  So the outside service's software has a hack in there to
accept it without the tag?  I wonder why?  Maybe it's a workaround
because some client software does it that way.

Anyway, with the tag it does work on IMAP.  But it still fails on POP
(which doesn't have tags, though I tried one anyway for kicks).