[Dovecot] recipient_delimiter

Phil Howard ttiphil at gmail.com
Fri May 28 21:18:06 EEST 2010

On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 14:06, Charles Marcus <CMarcus at media-brokers.com> wrote:
> On 2010-05-28 1:00 PM, Phil Howard wrote:
>>> If the problem is protocol related (connections time out, or an SMTP
>>> server complains about syntax errors etc.) consider recording a session
>>> with tcpdump, as described in the DEBUG_README document.
>
>> Have you seen any config check tools?
>
> Yes - it's called a brain. ;)

I think you are missing the point.  A config check tool would be
sifting through the details of the main.cf file, and the
postconf-n.out file, and reporting the difference between what one
thinks they have configured and what Postfix understands the
configuration to be.

> Seriously - only you know your environment well enough to evaluate any
> given config.

I think you are missing the point.  Since what Postfix uses as the
configuration isn't guaranteed to be what is coded ... because config
items do get changed by subsequent config items ... a tool that can
compare things comes in valuable.  We all know that doing things in
less time is a good thing (or else there would be not complaint about
wasting time).  But manually sifting through two files, point by
point, and cross checking everything, every time, is as much, or more,
of a time waster.  And given that it would be done quite often, one is
wasting a lot of time if they carry out that process.  This tool would
have to understand how Postfix interprets the config file (maybe just
sufficient to know that conflicting config items don't produce errors
or warnings in postfix or postconf), and just produce the warnings ...
"hey dude, you specified foo = 1 and later foo = 2 ... can't have it
both ways, so you better go check on that".

> Use the tools, Luke... postconf -n and dovecot (or doveconf for 2.0) -n
> will complain for syntax errors, but it is up to you to evaluate the output.

But it doesn't complain for conflict errors.  And that was the class
of error that happened.