[Dovecot] 1.2.11, mbox, new mail

Stan Hoeppner stan at hardwarefreak.com
Sat May 29 00:00:22 EEST 2010

Timo Sirainen put forth on 5/28/2010 10:55 AM:
> On Thu, 2010-05-27 at 20:14 -0500, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
>> What, if anything, am I sacrificing, or what new problems might I cause, by
>> using mbox_very_dirty_syncs=yes?    Previously I was using mbox_dirty_syncs = yes.
>
> If non-Dovecot MUAs modify mbox simultaneously (except appends by MDA
> are ok), Dovecot might not notice those changes immediately and it might
> log some errors sometimes.

So it's the same caveat as with mbox_dirty_syncs = yes.  If the caveats are
the same, why do both settings exist, given that mbox_very_dirty_syncs=yes
yields superior performance?  Is there more potential danger with
mbox_very_dirty_syncs?  That was the impression I had, thus why I was using
the "milder" setting.

--
Stan