[Dovecot] Shared mailboxes in dovecot

Daniel Luttermann daniel at dlutt.de
Tue Nov 2 11:36:40 EET 2010

Jay Mobile wrote on 11/02/2010:
> Hi,
> i hve a requirement of setting up two folders which should be shared
> only to selected users only. Pls note that my users are virtual and
> reside on mysql db. im using maildir as storage. lets assume user A
> wants to share a folder named shared with user B only. how can i get
> this done?
> Regards
> Jay

you can find more informations in the Wiki. See:

http://wiki2.dovecot.org/SharedMailboxes/Shared
http://wiki2.dovecot.org/ACL

(These informations are for Dovecot 2.x).

You must define a namespace (shared) and create the appropriate acls.
An acl looks like

   user=user at example.com rl

This acl (filename: dovecot-acl) can be stored in the folder you would
like to share which means that user "user at example.com" can "read" and
"list" the mailbox.

Some IMAP clients supports shared folders so if you configure Dovecot
correctly you can manage this within your client software but you can
also do this manually.

--
Daniel