[Dovecot] Upgrading from 1.2.8 to 2.0.6: INBOX not selectable in Thubderbird (greyed and italic)

Michele Bergonzoni bergonz at labs.it
Tue Nov 2 20:55:58 EET 2010

Quoting Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi>:

> Still can't reproduce. What if you run directly:
>
> /usr/local/libexec/dovecot/imap
> 1 list "" inbox
>
> Does that also show \Noselect? Do you have more than one user? Try
> creating a new one and see if this happens also with it. Maybe there's
> something strange in the Maildir that causes this.

You're right, there's something strange in *me*...

After some comparison it turned out that the root cause was the
presence in my Maildir of a simbolic link to a directory in a
different filesystem, for wich I had no read permission, like:

lrwxrwxrwx    1 bergonz  users          73 May 28  2007 .z_2006\ e\
precedenti.SANET ->
/usbhd/archivio/Personali/home/bergonz/Maildir/.z_2006\ e\
precedenti.SANET/

But without read permission on the target directory.

This caused the following (I altered some names for privacy):

1 list "" "inbox.z*"
* LIST (\HasChildren) "." "INBOX.z_2006 e precedenti"
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "." "INBOX.z_2006 e precedenti.first one"
* LIST (\Noselect \HasNoChildren) "." "INBOX.z_2006 e precedenti.the
one with missing read perm in destination directory"
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "." "INBOX.z_2006 e precedenti.a third one"

Removing the link appears to solve my personal problem:

a list "" inbox
* LIST (\HasChildren) "." "INBOX"

(I say appears because I'm out of office and I can't test TB, but I'm
sure that now it will work).

Thank you very much for your great help and patience! If you think
this is something that needs improvement, please ask me whatever
debugging/strace/etc you might need.

Best regards,
                        Bergonz