[Dovecot] Virtual inbox folder bug

Antonio Henrique Oliveira tat at moosaico.mail.pt
Tue Nov 2 23:50:35 EET 2010

Hi all,

I've been using dovecot as our internal mail server for quite some time.
It works very well. Each of our mailboxes have 1000+ messages (some have
more than 4-5000 messages).

I have recently started using virtual folders and, using an adaptation
of an example script in the dovecot site
(http://wiki.dovecot.org/Plugins/Virtual), to have a virtual folder
changed to act as inbox.

All of my email is delivered in some folder other than the real inbox
via sieve scripts.
My inbox is, therefore, a virtual folder, which only displays the unread
emails on all the folders in the account.

Everything works fine *except* that, when I mark an email as read or
when I open an email directly on the inbox, it does not disappear from
the inbox (as it should since it is not unread after being open or being
marked as read).

I'm not sure if this is a bug, a "feature", or a misconfiguration.... :)

I'm using dovecot 1.2.13 on Debian Etch (installed using the backports
repository). Attached is the file with the output of "dovecot -n", the
script for the virtual folder and the custom login script to change the
virtual folder to act as the inbox.

I'm using Thunderbird 3.1.6 on Windows XP SP3 as the main mail client
and also using an Android phone (Samsung Galaxy) to access the same account.

Regards,
--
Anto'nio Henrique A. Proenca de Oliveira
"Although we can never go back, like an old sweet

$Id: .signature,v 1.5 2008/03/13 11:22:00 tat Exp tat $