[Dovecot] remote hot site, POP3 replication over WAN

Noel Butler noel.butler at ausics.net
Wed Nov 3 04:34:09 EET 2010

On Tue, 2010-11-02 at 10:36 +0100, Andrzej Adam Filip wrote:

> Stan Hoeppner <stan at hardwarefreak.com> wrote:
> > Taking a survey.
> >
> > 1.  How many of you have a remote site hot backup Dovecot IMAP server?
> >
> > 2.  How are you replicating mailbox data to the hot backup system?
> >     A.  rsync
> >     B.  DRBD+GFS2
> >     C.  Other
>
> Do you need IMAP or POP3 would be sufficient?
> IMHO POP3 offers interesting options beyond what you have mentioned.

Agreed, it shouldn't matter, its nothing but stored data

And hardly call rsync "hot backup"

my vote is snapmirror, same DC protected by many CCT cameras,  area
dependant swipe and biometric entry, VESDA, tonnes of FM200, redundant
generators, is 200 mtrs from the second largest fire station in the
state, and 90 mtrs from police HQ.
not on a flood plain, chances earthquakes pretty much zero, redundant
fibre, carriers and microwave, the only thing without redundancy is the
espresso machine, but we working on that one! :)  so who needs
off-site ... wont get close enough with a bomb, and many taller
buildings in the way for a plane, and besides, terrorists likely have
better targets.