[Dovecot] Ongoing performance issues with 2.0.x

David Ford david at blue-labs.org
Fri Nov 5 15:18:50 EET 2010

On 11/05/10 08:56, Ralf Hildebrandt wrote:
> I'm only scanning directories that haven't been scanned for a long time
> (I cannot scan all the boxes in one night). Main purpose is to remove
> freshly detected viruses/spam that wasn't in the patterns at delivery
> time.
>
> The benefit is somewhat limited; one might argue it doesn't make much
> sense.

I'm curious what would show up new in mailboxes other than drafts and sent items.  on my networks, AV and anti-spam hooks are via sendmail/milter and get called for all smtp regardless of direction which means an infected desktop won't be able to transmit spam.

thus, running a nightly scan on mailboxes after delivery means the above - save the draft/sent mailboxes, the benefit is zero and it's only going to drive up the load.

-d

--
Linux - freedom to build is good Please top-post and trim when replying to my messages. I most often read mail on a small device. PGP signature 91ED 44F8 108B E981 DB67 49AC F450 EFD5 6A99 94A2 VERY NOT-IMPORTANT NOT-LEGAL NOTICES: Recalling a message does in no way delete it from my computer. Rather, it brings attention to your original email and recalling it causes me to search for a reason to find embarrassment. Please don't send message recall messages. It's silly and obnoxious and wastes even more bandwidth and patience. Regardless of what legal message you append to your email message, I am not obligated or constrained in any way shape or form and -every- court backs this up. If I feel like printing it out and taping it up at the local gym, or mass mailing it to 15,000 people, I will. I feel especially inclined to do so the longer your "legal" advisory is. Such notices are unenforceable and do not protect you or your company from things you say, or things others do with
the email. "Millions of innocent men, women and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burnt, tortured, fined, imprisoned; yet we have not advanced one inch towards uniformity. What has been the effect of coercion? To make half the world fools, and the other half hypocrites." --Thomas Jefferson This message is confidential to the Internet at large, unless otherwise indicated or apparent from its nature. It may not be reproduced on Mars unless it has previously been printed on Uranus. This message is directed to the intended recipient only (usually everyone, but sometimes nobody and once in a blue moon, just somebody), who may be readily determined by the sender of this message and its contents. This email message (including any attachments) is not for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may or may not contain confidential, proprietary and privileged information. It may include sarcastic holier than tho content. If the reader of this message is