[Dovecot] Best (fastest + most stable) search config...

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Fri Nov 5 15:28:40 EET 2010

On 11/5/10 9:17 AM, Ed W wrote:
>> compare. Unfortunately I don't have a test system available to do all
>> the mailbox types. I can only test mbox on my production system. That
>
> When you rebuild your server, switch to some kind of virtualisation
> option! Never again will you not have a test architecture or any issue
> in spinning out a quick system to "try something out". With so many
> quite simple to use options available these days there is really near
> zero reason not to use virtualisation on your next server?
>
> Just to put a stake in the ground - I have had very good success with
> linux-vservers. These are effectively a kind of chroot on steroids and
> similar to lxc containers, etc. This type of "virtualisation" is very
> lightweight (and not really a proper virtualisation to be fair) and it's
> extremely straightforward to migrate machines between real hardware,
> copy a machine for testing, backup, etc (takes around 1-3 mins to
> duplicate most of my virtualised machines - some might argue that's
> slow, but it's good enough for me)
>
> I'm sure there are a bunch of reasons you can't use this today, but
> hopefully something to plan ahead for?

   I have to second this recommendation.  For what little x86-based
stuff I do, I've gleefully gulped down the VMware ESXi kool-aid and
absolutely love it.  For bigger stuff, Solaris 10 on big multiprocessor
UltraSPARCs with Zones virtualization is wonderful.  It's extremely
handy to be able to fire up a new system at any time, even as a
temporary "sandbox" on a whim just to try something out.

              -Dave

--
Dave McGuire
Port Charlotte, FL