[Dovecot] Ongoing performance issues with 2.0.x

Stan Hoeppner stan at hardwarefreak.com
Sat Nov 6 19:08:06 EET 2010

Ralf Hildebrandt put forth on 11/6/2010 10:33 AM:
> * Ralf Hildebrandt <Ralf.Hildebrandt at charite.de>:
>
>>> I'm still using i686 systems, but I wouldn't think that would change
>>> the version of GCC that gets installed.  I'm not sure if this may be
>>> playing a role in this problem or not.  What kernel version are you
>>> running, stock Debian or rolled from source?
>>
>> 2.6.32-23-generic-pae, from Ubuntu
>
> I'm using this one because the bigmem kernels in Debian had some
> problems (being: bigmem not working at all, it was not compiled in)

And I'm guessing you're running a 32bit PAE kernel because VMWare ESX
still doesn't officially support 64bit guests, correct?  Or are you
using another hypervisor that also has such a limitation?

Is this the only guest on this host or do you have others?  If this is
the only guest, you have 2 dual core dies in that Xeon CPU, 4 cores
total.  I assume you've assigned 4  virtual CPUs to this Debian VM?

You may want to run top in the hypervisor console itself (or an SSH
session into the hypervisor) and watch the %CPU of the hypervisor's
kernel threads.  That might tell us something as well.

--
Stan