[Dovecot] dovecot Digest, Vol 91, Issue 18

William Blunn bill+dovecot at blunn.org
Mon Nov 8 15:16:27 EET 2010

On 08/11/2010 12:47, Alan Brown wrote:

>> From: Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi>
>> Subject: Re: [Dovecot] emails getting mangled when dragging from
>> Exchange account to IMAP shared folders
>
>> On Wed, 2010-11-03 at 16:18 -0700, Scott Goodwin wrote:
>>> FYI, I got rawlog working and it shows the same break in the raw
>>> logs as in the broken headers.
>>> Below is a snippet from the rawlog (names and other identifiers
>>> redacted).
>>>  The offending sequence is always in the References headers section,
>>> and you can see the line breaks there that show this.  So it sounds
>>> like this can't be an issue with Dovecot, am I right?
>>
>> Yeah, sounds like Outlook breaks with huge headers. That's one huge
>> References header you have.
>
> Summarising mail standards (WRT headers)
>
> There is a limit of 4096 characters per line.

But surely you can fold header records, e.g.

<foo2 at bar.com>
<foo3 at bar.com>

meaning you could have a "References" header record of any length.

> If Outlook is breaking at less than that it's a bug.

I take it you mean breaking as in malfunctioning as opposed to breaking
as in folding.

> If the References: line is longer than that then it should have been
> truncated by the sending MUA - there's no provision for multiline
> References headers (which are a non-standardised import from Usenet
> anyway).

Surely the MUA could just fold the References header record on to
multiple lines?

When you say "multiline References headers", do you mean "multiple
'References' header records" or "'References' header records folded on
to multiple lines"?

Bill