[Dovecot] Dovecot + vpopmail + shared folders

qmail at top-consulting.net qmail at top-consulting.net
Fri Nov 12 21:43:52 EET 2010

I'm using dovecot 1.2.14 with vpopmail.

I've enabled shared folders and the default setup was not working. The
default setup being this line:

location = maildir:%%h/Maildir:INDEX=~/Maildir/shared/%%u

Going through the Archives I saw a message from Timo that said to
apply a patch and use this line instead:

location =
maildir:/usr/home/vpopmail/domains/%d/%%n/Maildir:INDEX=~/Maildir/shared/%%u

It seems like the patch is already existing in version 1.2.14 and that
line works well for shared folders for domains directly under
/usr/home/vpopmail/domains.

However, with vpopmail after a certain number of domains, it starts
putting them in /usr/home/vpopmail/domains/A, ..domains/B, etc.

Shared folders do not work for those domains since my location line is
forcing it to look directly in /usr/home/vpopmail/domains/xyz.com
instead of /usr/home/vpopmail/domains/A/xyz.com

Any workaround this ? How come we can't use %h or ~/ directly ?