[Dovecot] Dovecot 2.0.7 (8793036f6de8) seems to miss some defaults for vsz_limit

Robert Schetterer robert at schetterer.org
Wed Nov 17 12:31:24 EET 2010

Am 17.11.2010 11:00, schrieb Robert Schetterer:
> Am 17.11.2010 10:40, schrieb Robert Schetterer:
>>>
>>> These are unset defaults as far as I can tell. As with all defaults they
>>> should work out of the box. They are *not* overriden by specific custom
>>> values. Well, actually they are now, because of not being set in the first
>>> instance.
>>
>> hm i have i.e
>>
>> # If you set service_count=0, you probably need to grow this.
>>   #vsz_limit = 64M
>>

>> in 10-master.conf
>>
>> so whatever there is/was a warning in some default conf having your eyes
>> on this parameter
>>
>> so i stay
>> there can only be starting defaults at clean new setups
>> and they might fail too, i.e if you have very small resources
>> so give warning is the only chance i see
>>
>> but no flame , i changed so much that i havent any idea whats now is
>> default exactly

>>> Personally I think this is a form of wasting resources. Why would one
>>> allocate 256M to something that was previously set to 0B? Would it do
>>> any good at all? It may be convient to do so, but it may not be very
>>> effective...
>>
>> sorry i have enough resources so i dont care
>> unless i see a warning, basicly i trust in Timos code giving the right
>> warnings
>>
>> but good that Timo mostly answers if you ask detailed
>> describe your resources and he or others might give recomands
>> testing your setup with different setups might also help find out for
>> you, whats best at your site
>>
>> perhaps some basic resource examples should be in the wiki
>>

>>> Thomas
>>

>  looking here
> http://hg.dovecot.org/dovecot-2.0/
> this seems to be fixed

ok, for info

i have
2.0.7-0~auto+6 which is latest current
on http://xi.rename-it.nl/debian/
yet

needed
 i.e
service lmtp {
 vsz_limit = 256M

at my setup !!!

changelog of this version , so looks like current in sync with latest
patch level

dovecot (2:2.0.7-0~auto+6) unstable; urgency=low

  * New revision (1445:c2a76570d736) in pigeonhole Mercurial repository:
    - Services' default vsz_limit wasn't actually using
default_vsz_limit but
      rather 4 GB.
    - "Running standalone?" check now uses a new DOVECOT_CHILD_PROCESS
      environment rather than GENERATION.

 -- Stephan Bosch <stephan at rename-it.nl>  Tue, 16 Nov 2010 23:10:56 +0200

dovecot (2:2.0.7-0~auto+5) unstable; urgency=low

  * New revision (12432:8793036f6de8) in dovecot Mercurial repository:
    - Services' default vsz_limit wasn't actually using
default_vsz_limit but
      rather 4 GB.
    - Fixed home=/home/./user style chrooting to work again.
    - master: Fail if service's vsz_limit is less than 1 kB
    - imap/pop3-login: Default vsz_limit=64 caused it to be unlimited,
not 64
      MB.

 -- Stephan Bosch <stephan at rename-it.nl>  Tue, 16 Nov 2010 21:19:17 +0200

dovecot (2:2.0.7-0~auto+4) unstable; urgency=low

Best Regards

MfG Robert Schetterer

Germany/Munich/Bavaria