[Dovecot] Confused about Maildir

Egbert Jan van den Bussche egbert at vandenbussche.nl
Mon Nov 22 10:48:33 EET 2010

Op 22-11-2010 1:47, Glen Lee Edwards schreef:
> I'm trying to configure Dovecot 2.0.7. In the Dovecot Wiki for Maildirs
> it says that Maildirs are almost always located in ~/Maildir. I'm a
> Linux end user, not a programmer, so I may be wrong in this; but isn't
> the notation "~/" used for system users only to reference their home
> page; /home/<user>? If that's the case, then does that mean that
> Maildirs can only be used with system users and not with vmail accounts?
>
> Glen

As Patrick mentioned already (and to speak with Timo) ALL user should
have a homedir. This is mostly /home/<user> for real system users.
Virtuial users still should have a home dir. On my system that is a NFS
share on /disk/mail/vmail/<domain.tld>/<user> and the Maildir is in
/disk/mail/vmail/<domain.tld>/<user>/Maildir. It could had been
something colmpletely different!

Egbert Jan