[Dovecot] ldap passdb + mdbox

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Nov 23 15:51:34 EET 2010

On Mon, 2010-11-22 at 21:32 -0800, Daniel L. Miller wrote:
> I think I got it - probably by accident.  Just because it's actually
> working doesn't mean it's *correct* - does this look right?  Do I have
> redundant/obsolete parms specified?
>
> passdb {
>    driver = ldap
>    args = /usr/local/etc/dovecot/dovecot-ldap.conf
> }
> userdb {
>    driver = prefetch
> }
> userdb {
>    driver = ldap
>    # symlink to dovecot-ldap.conf
>    args = /usr/local/etc/dovecot/dovecot-ldap-userdb.conf
> }

The symlink isn't very useful. It'll just cause extra LDAP connections
to be created, since that userdb is used only for iteration anyway and
iterations are always executed in their own separate processes with
separate LDAP connection.

> user_attrs = =home=/var/mail/%d/%n, \
>      =mail=mdbox:/var/mail/%d/%n/mdbox, \
>      =uid=vmail, \
>      =gid=mail
> user_filter = (&(objectClass=inetOrgPerson)(mail=%u))
> pass_attrs = mail=user, \
>      userPassword=password, \
>      =userdb_home=/var/mail/%d/%n, \
>      =userdb_mail=mdbox:/var/mail/%d/%n/mdbox, \
>      =userdb_uid=vmail, \
>      =userdb_gid=mail

You could put all of the userdb_* stuff to mail_* settings, but since
you're using userdb prefetch there has to be one at least. :) So maybe
just keep userdb_home there and put the rest to dovecot.conf:

mail_location = mdbox:~/mdbox
mail_uid = vmail
mail_gid = mail