[Dovecot] dovecot is confused about mail_location

Eric Raymond esr at thyrsus.com
Thu Nov 25 03:41:40 EET 2010

Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi>:
> It anyway looks to me like any changes done to dovecot.conf get
> ignored, so it most likely isn't reading the expected config
> file. If dovecot isn't using the default config file, it's been
> given -c parameter. Does ps show dovecot process with -c pointing to
> different config file?

No, but I found something relevant.  I was operating under the mistaken
assumption that dovecot was an inetd plugin, the way imap servers usually
are.  It isn't, which means dovecot.conf is not reread as often as I thought.

I need to redo my diagnostics with more dovecot restarts.  Is there an
incantation analogous to "postfix reload"?