[Dovecot] Director and deliver

Thomas Hummel hummel at pasteur.fr
Fri Nov 26 16:11:50 EET 2010

On Fri, Nov 26, 2010 at 12:52:03PM +0100, Oliver Eales wrote:

Thanks for your answer

> If you are planning to use the director, you should switch to LMTP and not use deliver as LDA.
> LMTP can use the director.

Excuse my poor understanding of LMTP but what I don't understand is if some
sort of LDA is supposed to be at the other side of an LMTP connexion.

For instance,

  http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc2033

states

  "Therefore, if the queue manager is configured to use LMTP instead of SMTP
   when transferring messages to the delivery agents"

which I might interpret as "an SMTP server connects via LMTP to an LDA". Or is
the LMTP server able to directly put the message in the final mailbox ?

--
Thomas Hummel 	    | Institut Pasteur
<hummel at pasteur.fr> | Pôle informatique - systèmes et réseau