[Dovecot] Dovecot and loading OpenSSL libraries

Paul Griffith paulg at cse.yorku.ca
Mon Nov 29 20:26:02 EET 2010

Hi,

I am running into a interesting issue with Dovecot.

I compiled Dovecot 2.0.7 with LD_RUN_PATH  set to /xsys/lib and it was
able to find and link against the correct OpenSSL libraries (/xsys/lib),
the generated Makefile look OK.

Here is a snippet of the SSL cflags and libs.

SSL_CFLAGS = -I/xsys/include
SSL_LIBS = -L/xsys/lib -lssl -lcrypto -ldl

After I compil, install and run Dovecot I get the following error.

ssl-params: Error: dovecot/ssl-params: error while loading shared
libraries: libssl.so.0.9.8: cannot open shared object file: No such file
or directory

It seems that Dovecot can't find the SSL libraries, even if I set the
LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable. I always assume that the Dynamic
Loaded (dl) library would pickup LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

If I add /xsys/lib to /etc/ld.so.conf and regenerate my /etc/ld.so.cache
file, Dovecot works without any error messages.

Any ideas why SSL_CFLAGS, SSL_LIBS and LD_LIBRARY_PATH aren't been honored ?

78 % /xsys/pkg/dovecot/bin/doveconf -n
# 2.0.7: /xconf/dovecot/dovecot.conf
# OS: Linux 2.6.9-89.0.29.EL.CSE.smp i686 CentOS release 4.6 (Final) ext3
auth_mechanisms = plain login
auth_username_format = %Lu
doveadm_socket_path = /var/run/dovecot/doveadm-server
imap_client_workarounds = tb-extra-mailbox-sep
mail_location = mbox:/local/home/%u:INBOX=/local/home/%u/inbox
mail_plugin_dir = /xsys/pkg/dovecot/lib/dovecot
passdb {
   driver = pam
}
pop3_client_workarounds = outlook-no-nuls oe-ns-eoh
pop3_uidl_format = %08Xv%08Xu
protocols = imap pop3
ssl_cert = </xconf/openssl/certs/imapd.pem
ssl_key = </xconf/openssl/certs/imapd.pem
userdb {
   driver = passwd
}

Thanks