[Dovecot] Dovecot v0.99.13-3 upgrade to 1.0.15-2 ??

Jerry dovecot.user at seibercom.net
Fri Oct 1 14:53:10 EEST 2010

On Fri, 01 Oct 2010 07:00:22 -0400
Charles Marcus <CMarcus at Media-Brokers.com> articulated:

> On 2010-09-30 5:17 PM, cajun wrote:
> > I'm wondering now is it even possible to use the same mbox's from
> > 0.99.13-3 with version 1.0.15-2?
>
> Why move from the great-great-granddaddy version to the granddaddy
> version?
>
> Do yourself a favor and install the latest stable (currently 2.0.4)...
>
> All modern distros have repositories you can install it from.

There has been chatter on the FreeBSD forum regarding introducing the
new 2.x release into the ports system. Personally, I have advised
against it unless the port is clearly marked as "USE AT OWN RISK". Timo
appears to be introducing patches for the 2.x version on a nearly daily
basis. Until this version stabilizes and can go at least a few weeks
without something major breaking, I would recommend against using it
on a production server. Obviously, what you use on your home machine is
your own business.

FreeBSD is usually in the forefront when it comes to introducing new
versions of applications into its ports system; usually eons ahead of
most other vendors so I find this delay in releasing the 2.x version
something positive. Otherwise the overworked port maintainer here would
be working overtime attempting to keep up with the releases, patches
and subsequent testing required before releasing the product into the
wild.

Just my 2¢.

--
Jerry ✌