[Dovecot] zlib plugin weirdness

Kyle Wheeler kyle-dovecot at memoryhole.net
Fri Oct 1 18:21:50 EEST 2010

Hello,

I'm trying to get the zlib plugin working on my 2.0 server. I started
with an mbox that Dovecot can read just fine. Then I gzipped it, and
now Dovecot complains that it's corrupted:

     Error: Next message unexpectedly corrupted in mbox file
     /var/lib/vpopmail/domains/memoryhole.net/kyle/Maildir/Archive/Intellego.gz
     at 1907
     Error: Unexpectedly lost From-line from mbox file
     /var/lib/vpopmail/domains/memoryhole.net/kyle/Maildir/Archive/Intellego.gz
     at 1907
     Error:
     zlib.read(/var/lib/vpopmail/domains/memoryhole.net/kyle/Maildir/Archive/Intellego.gz):
     unexpected EOF at 1765954
     Error: i_stream_get_size() failed with mbox file
     /var/lib/vpopmail/domains/memoryhole.net/kyle/Maildir/Archive/Intellego.gz:
     No such file or directory

A similar thing happens when I bzip it. I was worried that it wasn't
even using the zlib plugin, but since it makes reference to zlib.read,
I assume that it is. Does anyone know what might be going wrong?

~Kyle
--
The only way to oppose a bad idea is to replace it with a good idea.
                                                           -- Jack Kemp