[Dovecot] Dovecot v0.99.13-3 upgrade to 1.0.15-2 ??

Stan Hoeppner stan at hardwarefreak.com
Fri Oct 1 19:15:03 EEST 2010

Charles Marcus put forth on 10/1/2010 9:44 AM:
> On 2010-10-01 7:26 AM, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
>> I guess Debian doesn't count as a "modern" distro then.  ;)  Lenny has
>> 1.2.13 available via backports.  Squeeze is frozen, and will apparently
>> ship with 1.2.13, whenever Squeeze ships...
>
> Yeah... I understand the argument, but this is why I've never seriously
> considered Debian for myself...

Due to the age of some/many packages in Debian Stable?  Or because new
packages aren't introduced in between major releases, except for those
released via backports?  Or both?  One can always install new packages
from source.  I've done it a few times on Debian simply because they
didn't have the package at all.  I've also installed RPMs on Debian for
the same reason--IOzone comes to mind.

I'd prefer using a Debian package in all cases, but sometimes your
distro just doesn't have what you want.  Debian is not unique in this
regard, even though Debian Stable, AMD64, has 17,914 packages.  I'm
guessing that compares favorably to any Linux distro.  Even with that
many packages, on occasion, you're going to want one that isn't in that
17,914.

> And although I did specify 2.0.4 as being 'the latest stable', I really
> only meant don't install 1.0.x and should have said so... I'd agree in
> many cases the latest 1.2 would be best...

>From where I sit, 2.x doesn't seem all that stable yet, as others have
stated.  No offense intended Timo! :)

--
Stan