[Dovecot] Can't receive emails

William Blunn bill+dovecot at blunn.org
Tue Oct 5 18:18:22 EEST 2010

On 05/10/2010 15:52, Chris wrote:
> I searched every logfile I could find, but without any results :(
> How does it usually work?
> The mail is send by another server and on my server, does postfix
> receive the email or is it dovecots job?
> Who puts the mail into that mail directory? I guess it's postfix?

If you are administering an e-mail server, this is stuff you are
supposed to know.

If it is a large enough installation to warrant /domain/localpart/
naming and MySQL user database, then you really should be fully up to
speed on this stuff.

In general, your MTA (Postfix in your case) usually receives e-mail by
SMTP usually via TCP on port 25.

Depending on your MTA configuration it may deliver the mail directly to
a file itself, or it may send it to another program by means of a
socket, or by piping the message into another program invoked on a
per-message basis.

To progress your issue further, you probably need to work out how you
have Postfix configured.

Bill