[Dovecot] Zero-sized Maildir files and index corruption on over-quota

Edgar Fuß ef at math.uni-bonn.de
Tue Oct 5 19:16:34 EEST 2010

> Are your NFS Maildirs mounted on more than one server?
Yes.

> Check the list archive for "nfs director".
I do read the list.

> There has been a good bit of discussion about this recently.
As I recall, this is about index corruption. What we face is not index corruption, but zero-length data files. Of course, for dovecot's program logic, this is an index corruption in the sense that the length recorded in the index (which is in fact correct) doesn't match the file size (because the file has been truncated to zero length).

> Cor Bosman explain the situation nicely here:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/dovecot@dovecot.org/msg31713.html
Yes, thanks, I already read that when it came up on the list.