[Dovecot] release plan for dovecot antispam plugin?

Eugene Paskevich eugene at raptor.kiev.ua
Wed Oct 6 00:18:02 EEST 2010

On Tue, 05 Oct 2010 12:20:57 +0300, Tom Hendrikx <tom at whyscream.net> wrote:

> I noticed that someone took over the development of the dovecot antispam
> plugin, and the is currently hosted at dovecots hg repo. Great to see
> that the plugin is not dead! ;)

Well, that's not the word I'd use. Rather reincarnated.

> I created a gentoo ebuild that builds the plugin from the repo, and the
> plugin seems to work nice with dspam (using mailtrain backend). I'm
> running a checkout from Tue Sep 21 16:14:48 2010.

As of this writing all of the previous backends were implemented.
But several of them lack any testing whatsoever.
I.e. I haven't tested signature-log, nor crm114.
All others were tested to some extent.

> However, it is lacking a release so distributions can also easily update
> the plugin. Is there any news on this?

In order to prepare a well shaped release the current code
has to be stuffed with optional (verbose) diagnostic messages.
Should something go wrong, users have be able to provide some debugging
info, not just "it doesn't work." That's what keeps me from releasing
 from the code side. There is another side however. I haven't spoken
to all of the authors of the previous plugin. I have to run all the
licensing/copyrighting questions by them. I hope this shouldn't be
a problem. But it has to be done before releasing.

--
Eugene Paskevich             |   *==)-----------   |     Plug me into
eugene at raptor.kiev.ua        |   -----------(==*   |      The Matrix