[Dovecot] Feature request for maildir style boxes

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Oct 6 02:17:16 EEST 2010

On 6.10.2010, at 0.09, David Ford wrote:

> On 10/05/2010 06:44 PM, Timo Sirainen wrote:
>> On 5.10.2010, at 23.38, David Ford wrote:
>>
>>> net-mail group is used by sendmail, procmail, dovecot, and additional
>>> programs that read/write in the users mail directory.
>> Can you give some specific examples?
>>
> i did.  sendmail accesses .forward or aliasing files,

Isn't .forward typically in home dir, not under maildir? I don't know about per-user aliases file (there's such a thing?), but I'd guess that is also under home dir.

> procmail does delivery,
..
> new/ and tmp/ are set to david:david 0700 as cur/ is

It can't do delivery as net-mail group if they're 0700.

> dovecot does read/write for imap, pine reads and writes and
> webmail cgi reads and writes or uses imap.

None of those can work either with net-mail group permissions since all the necessary dirs are 0700.

> .maildir cannot be 0700 because programs that don't run as
> the same userid but only as the group id cannot then access the .maildir
> directory.  it's not important that they have access to files below the
> top level mail store.  procmail issues an error when writing in tmp/ as
> well.

You still haven't given one example of where it's actually useful to have it 0770. Seems to me that your problem would simply go away with chmod 0700 .maildir.