[Dovecot] Command died with signal 11: "/usr/libexec/dovecot/dovecot-lda"

Xiiph xiipher at gmail.com
Tue Oct 12 21:42:42 EEST 2010

Stephan Bosch <stephan <at> rename-it.nl> writes:

> On 10/04/2010 09:38 PM, Schmidt wrote:

> >> Difficult to do anything about this without a gdb backtrace. Can you
> >> reproduce it by manually running dovecot-lda? If not, getting a core
> >> dump would be the next best way to get a backtrace.
> >> http://dovecot.org/bugreport.html
> >>

> > Hi,
> >
> > I become aware this error today too. I checked my log, first time it
> > ocourrs was Sep. 28, should be with version 2.0.3.
> >
> > Every time a core file is generated at ~account. (maildir)
> > Can I do something with that file?
> >
> > After postfix is killed it starts again and delivers this message. I
> > think the message was still queued by postfix. Additionally the sender
> > gets a non delivery.
> >
> > regards
>
> Please make a gdb backtrace as described here:
>
> http://www.dovecot.org/bugreport.htm
>
> Regards,
>
> Stephan

This has happened to me too. After a bit of investigation I believe I found what
causes it, and I have successfully managed to reproduce it.

This seems to happen when dovecot-lda attempts to deliver a mail to multiple
aliases resolving to the same user. For example:

# /etc/aliases
xiiph:  xiiph at example.com
admin:  xiiph at example.com

Sending a mail to both xiiph and admin (for example as to and cc) will result in
one mail being delivered, and one mail bounced with signal 11 from dovecot-lda.

The server behaves as I would want it to, only deliver one mail and not two to
the same user, but I would wish for it to silently ignore the error and suppress
the warning mail, as it may confuse senders.

/X