[Dovecot] Convert plugin

Egbert Jan van den Bussche egbert at vandenbussche.nl
Fri Oct 15 22:34:33 EEST 2010

Op 15-10-2010 20:15, Donny Brooks schreef:
> On 10/15/2010 1:10 PM, Timo Sirainen wrote:
>> On Wed, 2010-10-06 at 22:01 +0200, Egbert Jan van den Bussche wrote:
>>> I'm trying the example from the wiki:
>>>
>>> plugin {
>>> convert_mail = mbox:~/mail:INBOX=/var/mail/%n
>>> }
>>>
>>> but have still not succeded.
>> Did you figure it out already? The problem is that you have no ~/mail/
>> directory, convert plugin doesn't then do anything because it thinks the
>> mails are already converted. Either you need to create those dirs, or
>> maybe it's easier to just use one of the scripts and do all the users at
>> once some weekend.
>>

> Be sure your mail in /home/username is stored in mail and not Mail.
> Otherwise change the ~/mail to ~/Mail and it will work. This is what
> mine was. Also check the /var/mail/%n portion. Mine was stored in
> /var/spool/mail/%n.
>
> Donny B.

OK! I can confirm that the idea to move the big old mailbox files to
~/mail works fine. The emails are flagged as new but that is not a real
problem (not of mine at least). I do see a new problem though... As long
as the user has not logged in to the new mailserver, his home dir  is
not created yet (and mail dir neither) so I cannot place his old
mailstore in that location.

I will do the test again with a dummy home dir like /var/dummy/%n/ with
the old mail store in there called inbox. All owned by vmail:vmail. This
is something I can write a script for to do the conversion from
/var/mail/<user mailstore> on the ols server to /var/dummy/%n/inbox.

CU
EJ