[Dovecot] minimize mbox mdbox fragmentation

William Blunn bill+dovecot at blunn.org
Thu Oct 21 13:58:50 EEST 2010

On 20/10/2010 18:32, Charles Marcus wrote:
> On 2010-10-20 12:53 PM, Timo Sirainen wrote:
>> Oh, interesting. I didn't know that was possible. And even better:
>> Linux has fallocate() that can do it for other filesystems than just
>> XFS. Or looks like it's only XFS and ext4 (ext3 doesn't support it).
>
> How about reiserfs (3, not 4)?

Though in the case of the "small number of large files" (i.e. the
opposite of ReiserFS's strength), which you would get with mbox and
mdbox, one would have to ask what upside ReiserFS would bring to the
party which would outweigh the downside that Namesys is kaput and Hans
Reiser is currently serving 15 years to life for second degree murder in
a California State Prison...

Bill