[Dovecot] Maybe wrong quota recalculation behaviour on overquota delivery try

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Sep 2 20:32:37 EEST 2010

On Thu, 2010-09-02 at 19:14 +0200, Luca Palazzo wrote:

> Looking at mbox servers log nothing seem to happen, but stracing lmtp
> process we can see stat system calls to all Maildir files, as if
> dovecot
> was recalculating quota and regenerating maildirsize file.
>
> It happens always when LMTP tries to deliver a mail to an overquota
> account.

Yes, that's pretty much how Maildir++ quota works. If maildirsize file
doesn't only contain a single line showing the quota, or if it's older
than 15 minutes, it's recalculated. The maildir filenames really should
have ,S=size in the filenames, otherwise quota recalculation is horribly
slow.

Maybe you should switch to dict quota with file backend.
http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Quota/Dict