[Dovecot] nfs director

Noel Butler noel.butler at ausics.net
Fri Sep 3 09:00:38 EEST 2010

On Fri, 2010-09-03 at 07:16 +1000, Edward avanti wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 11:09 AM, Seth Mattinen <sethm at rollernet.us> wrote:
>
> > On 8/31/2010 10:22, Ariel Biener wrote:
> > >
> > > Oh, and Timo, I don't think we are just "a couple of NFS users". Maildir
> > > and NFS are not as uncommon as
> > > you'd think, even in very large installations.
> > >

> > NFS with maildir has been the gold standard for a long time, whether the
> > NFS server be <insert favorite distro> boxes or a huge hardware
> > appliance. It's certainly not uncommon.
> >
> > ~Seth
> >

> Sad I think most assume single machine use or two machine use, if dovecot
> not good, we have sub 1 hour rollback time plan in place, since it only
> daemon and configuration change.

I don't think most assume that at all, dovecot is, has and will, be used
in many different setups from a single SOHO to large numbers like yours,
NFS seems to be more prevalent than others apparently realise, maybe
because , like here, it has worked, and we dont bitch about things
(normally)
I do take exception to be told this issue can be fixed, but NFS users
are not worth it, which is essentially what he told us, I dare say if
this list was flooded by dovecot NFS users asking he'd quickly change
his mind, but as everyone here knows, there is only a few hundred
memberfs on this lsit, and how many tens of thousands of dovecot
installs :) Some NFS users here are of small size where they can see
beneifits of using another program (director) to manage things, and dont
care about it impacting their inbound servers, some do care, but yes
when you get to large user numbers, well, we are engineers, not PR/Sales
ppl, so we can by our nature see through the upselling of using it.

Anyways the caching from pop will help a bit, so i doubt you'll have to
rollback that part anytime soon. Its not been an issue here in years of
use, i'm pretty pedantic, so if it was an issue im sure i'd have come
accross it by now, so can not see why it will be for you now. I'cve
accepted Timo wont code that option for deliver, so if your worried
about it use postfix's deliver, if doing the same keeps you happy then
thats all there is to it. we know we don t answer to Timo. or the
supporters or fanbois, we answer to the ones who pay our salaries.
And, since we do not pay for Dovecot we are free to use any, all or no
part of it, obviously courier didnt do for you what you wanted or you
wouldnt be here, i know it did what we wanted, albeit a bit slower.