[Dovecot] Dsync error, Targer mailbox already exists

Henrique Fernandes sf.rique at gmail.com
Sat Sep 4 03:33:03 EEST 2010

Hey, why i am getting this error ?
dsync(user at example.com): Error: Can't rename mailbox
VoIP_08300a224c41694c0d0f000020ce4ec5 to VoIP: Target mailbox already exists

It happens when i run dsync twice, but it should do only changes right ?

dovecot 2.0

I am traying to convert all my user mboc to maildir so i made an script to
help.

The enveriment:

Have dovecot looking into file conf and in mysql.

Mysql over rides file conf.

in file have mail_location mbox:path:INBOX:path2

so i run this comand:

dsync -v -u user at domain.com mirror maildir:~/mail/

I run this command to all user in my server, about 8000

After the first dsync it will take a while, but dovecot is still running and
looking at mail_location to mbox.

So now, i run again dsync, but now i thought it would do only changes, email
that arrived while i was converting, but is not doing this and i am getting
that stuff, so i get duplicated mailbox.

Anyway, my ideia after this second sync that should be much faster i would
change in mysql to mail_location maildir:~/mail/

And from now on this user would receive mail to maildir location, and i
would run now the dsync but now reversed. like this:
dsync -v -u user at domain.com mirror mbox:/pathl:INBOX=path

And it should be working now right ? Without any down time ?

Does any one have a better ideia about how to sync this mails without down
time ?

Thanks for all!

But the bigs quest here is about the error:

dsync(user at example.com): Error: Can't rename mailbox
VoIP_08300a224c41694c0d0f000020ce4ec5 to VoIP: Target mailbox already exists

Any one ?

[]'sf.rique