[Dovecot] fts, solr, and client support

Kelsey Cummings kgc at corp.sonic.net
Sat Sep 4 19:35:33 EEST 2010

I've been playing around with the fts plugins and currently have solr up
and running.  While the initial indexing time is pretty rough, the
search performance is impressive.  I've run into a problem though- so
far as I can tell, thunderbird (and most other popular clients?)
won't actually take advantage of it.  Even using thunderbird's advanced
search and checking the 'run serach on server' box doesn't push the
search to the server.  If most popular clients don't support it,
there doesn't seem much point in setting it up; which is a shame, solr
beats the snot out of the built in search for thunderbird.

That said, is anyone running any of the fts plugins in a large scale
environment?  If so, what kind of scaling issues do you see?  How do the
search servers compare hardware wise to users count/spool size?

--
Kelsey Cummings - kgc at corp.sonic.net      sonic.net, inc.
System Architect                          2260 Apollo Way