[Dovecot] dovecot Digest, Vol 89, Issue 26

Alan Brown ajb2 at mssl.ucl.ac.uk
Mon Sep 6 18:37:31 EEST 2010

Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> Wrote:

 >On Mon, 2010-09-06 at 12:37 +0100, William Blunn wrote:
 > > Whilst documenting LAYOUT=maildir++ under dbox, that got me thinking:
 > >
 > > Can we specify :LAYOUT=maildir++ with mbox?

 > Yes, ever since LAYOUT was added.

 > > If I have it right, this should then remove the problem of not being
 > > able to have messages and mail subfolders in the same mail folder.

 > Yes. Also it might be possible to use DIRNAME with LAYOUT=fs to solve
 > that problem, but I'm less sure about that. I anyway doubt most mbox
 > users want to switch to a whole new layout.

Mbox users might not, but Maildir or dbox users might want to,
especially if users have a lot of folders (One of mine has ~2500)

Directories definitely get slower to list with more files/subdirectories
in them and there are knee points beyond which they get substantially
slower (Where the knee is depends on the type of FS but it's usually a
power of 2)