[Dovecot] Dovecot upgrades break Blackberry instant email (BIS)

Daryl Richards daryl at isletech.net
Tue Sep 7 00:56:06 EEST 2010

On 2010-09-06, at 11:49 AM, Timo Sirainen wrote:

> On Fri, 2010-09-03 at 17:50 -0400, Daryl Richards wrote:
>
>> Just for reference; I have quite a few people with Blackberrys
>> connecting to my server too. And, many do not do idle. I can't tell
>> why some do and some don't. I've tried adding IDLE as a capability
>> before auth, no help. I've tried deleting and recreating the account
>> on the BIS servers, sometimes it helps, usually not. I've done packet
>> captures, and raw logs from Dovecot. The ones that don't work just
>> never try to IDLE.
>
> That was before Dovecot v2.0?

I've run versions 1.2.11 through 1.2.13, haven't tried anything with 2.0 yet..

Seriously, though, I'm pretty sure it's a weirdness on their end. When you set up an account on the BIS servers, they do a connect to the server to verify login credentials. After this, it will either connect again and go IDLE, or just connect every 15 minutes to poll. I haven't seen any difference with the initial connects, but if an account gets added and does IDLE it will also do IDLE.. If after the first connect it decides to poll, it will always poll. Deleting and re-adding the account will sometimes make it switch how it runs, but not always. Someone from RIM would have to answer how it decides whether to run IDLE/push, or polled..