[Dovecot] nfs director

Noel Butler noel.butler at ausics.net
Tue Sep 7 13:41:45 EEST 2010

Tim,

On Fri, 2010-09-03 at 12:26 -0700, Tim Traver wrote:

> yes, there is no change on the delivery performance, as dovecot-lda is
> just a delivery program to the Maildir just like any other. The thing
> that it does different is update the dovecot uidlist and update the
> index with a new mail. As you mentioned, it also has the sieve filter
> now built into it, which is important to me, but maybe not everyone
> depending on their setup.
>
> Not using dovecot-lda is just postponing the work that it does until the
> user attempts to fetch the mail using POP or IMAP. I doubt that it is

but as I've said (many times now) imap is not an issue here, as primary
use is pop3 and rarely is leave on server used based on some useage
tests over the mail store directories
so it is not a problem, besides, it has to reindex anyway every access
be it pop3 imap or deliver, we just remove some risks to add reliability
since Timo says it is risky allowing multiple servers to access it...
hell, maybe we too should revert back to Qmail and  vpopmail where this
was never an issue as well as the OP :)

My priorities as  stability and reliability... performance last

Cheers