[Dovecot] Dovecot director - silly questions

Guy wyldfury at gmail.com
Tue Sep 7 14:27:37 EEST 2010

Hi,

I'm currently using Dovecot 1.1.18 with storage over NFS and there's been
the occasional corrupt index. I'm going to be installing a new set of
servers soon and would like to start using Dovecot 2.0. I've had a look at
the bit there is on the new Dovecot director, but I'm not totally sure how
it's intended to be used.

Should I install Dovecot on the software load balancers (IMAP/POP3 and other
services balanced by haproxy) and configure the director on there?

I'm also using maildrop at the moment but would like to switch to Dovecot
deliver at some stage. Since mail is delivered to a random mail server (they
both have access to the NFS shares), won't I run into the same index
problem? Should I look at per user transports before then or can director
also be used to effect Dovecot deliver?

Thanks
Guy

--