[Dovecot] need help with shared mailboxes

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Sep 7 20:28:40 EEST 2010

On Mon, 2010-09-06 at 18:23 +0300, alex wrote:
> I have some problems with setting shared mailboxes . I use dovecot
> 1.2.11 with following namespaces :
>
> mail_location: maildir:~

okay.

>    location: maildir:/home/sites/%d/mail/%%n/Maildir/

For consistency this would also be clearer if it was:

location = maildir:%%h

Although, do you really have the Maildir/ path included in users' home
dirs? That's not right. http://wiki.dovecot.org/VirtualUsers/Home

> in the /home/sites/domain.tld/mail/user1/Maildir I have created a file
> dovecot-acl with :

You should use IMAP's SETACL commands to change the ACLs. I can't
remember the details of how it works either.

> Now , in TB under the user2 , if I check subscribe , under the shared, I
> have a INBOX folder that is always check but nothing else. From what I
> understand I suppose to see user1 folders and I think it is something
> wrong with my config (namespaces, paths).

You shared only user1's INBOX to user2. User2 can't see anything else
without user1 sharing them. There's currently no way to set "share all
of user1's mailboxes to user2".